Accordion Group

Open All Tabs
  • What is Pre-Health?

    Pre-Health is a track not a major. In addition to the courses required for your major, there are certain academic requirements you must meet as a student on the pre-health track.  Please review the student guide for additional information.

  • Who is a Pre-Health student?

    A student who is interested in pursuing a professional career in one of the pre-health fields: medical, dental, veterinary, physician assistant, optometry, podiatry, or chiropractic medicine.  Students looking to pursue careers in nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and pharmacy should contact the School of Nursing and Health Studies.

  • Is there an orientation session for Pre-Health students?

    Yes. Before the start of each academic year the Office of Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring holds an orientation session for incoming and new Pre-Health students during the university's orientation week.

  • What is the total number of letters included in my committee or cover letter packet?

    A maximum of six (6) individual letters of evaluation are submitted as part of your committee or cover letter packet:

    2 from science faculty

    1 from a non-science faculty

    1 from a health professional

    2 "wild cards" (i.e. research mentor, employer, etc.)


  • How do I know what courses are classified as science?

    Faculty who teach courses in the below departments count as science faculty for committee letter purposes:

    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Math
    • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

    Note: Science courses that count for committee letters may not be designated as a Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math (BCPM) science course with the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).

    For additional information, please review the AMCAS Course Classification Guide.

  • Can I request a letter from a faculty member I am currently taking a class with?

    Yes. However the evaluator should wait until the end of the course to submit the letter request form on your Blackboard or email directly to the Office of Pre-Health.

  • If I reapply, can I use the same letters?

    Yes, but you also may request new or updated letters.

  • How should my letters be submitted to the Office of Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring?

    Each letter should be on the evaluator’s official letterhead, signed and dated by the evaluator. The letter should include your full name and C number and should comment on your suitability for professional school. Letters must be submitted directly by the evaluator to the Office of Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring as a pdf attachment via email to prehealth@miami.edu, fax (305-284-8278), or mail (1000 Memorial Drive, 3rd Floor, Coral Gables, FL 33146). Please note that email is the preferred method of letter submission.

  • Where do I get clinical experience?

    Students should seek out varied clinical experience.  In addition to shadowing health professionals, you may volunteer at hospitals, clinics, private offices, institutions, nursing homes, hospice care facilities, and blood drives.  You may want to get certified as an emergency medical technician (EMT) or become a licensed certified nursing assistant (CNA).  Or you may want to participate in a medical mission trip.  We suggest students contact any of the pre-health clubs’ shadowing coordinators for opportunities.  Click here to visit our clubs’ page. Network and use your family contacts. What is most important in all these activities is to have patient contact.

  • Will professional schools accept AP/IB credit?

    Some do, but not all.  Contact individual schools on their policies regarding AP and IB credit.